Monday, February 14, 2011

Love and mushy stuff.

Well, it's just about the end of my 27th Valentine's Day, and I have to say it was quite uneventful, as the majority of those 27 have been. Aside from Valentine's Day ten years ago when I was asked to Senior Prom by one of my best guy friends at the time (in a really awesome way that I'll never forget - ask me sometime & I'll share the story), I've never had a very exciting or memorable Valentine's Day.

This weekend marked a very memorable time for me, however, and I have to say, this Valentine's Day has quickly rose to the top of my "favorite's" list.

Today concluded a long weekend spent at the beach with my family (parents, both siblings, aunt and uncle)...sort of our own little family reunion. My sister is in town from Poultney, Vermont (Google it, it's small) and the family all gathered to enjoy some R&R together. It has been wonderful spending time with her after many months apart.


While enjoying our family's vacation home on the Northern Oregon Coast, my brother, sister, and I all found ourselves basking in the simple joy of just being together. The three of us are fairly close in age (30, 29, 27) and over the years have grown considerably more fond of each other than we were when we were 10, 9, and 7. Blame it on the mushy holiday feelings, or the hours spent playing Wii, or the close quarters for lodging, but I felt a sense of utter joy during my time with my siblings this weekend that I haven't felt in a long time.

We shared many laughs, a few scowls, heartfelt conversations, and even a few hugs (despite my brother's preferences). We took some family pictures, watched a few storms roll through, and ate homemade waffles while standing around the kitchen grinning at each other. It was a very special weekend, one that I won't soon forget. It was the kind that goes in your mental scrapbook for years to come. Someday down the line we'll pull out one of those "...Remember that weekend at the beach..." stories and we'll howl with laughter much like we did this weekend.

I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed our family with that coastal home in which we have built memories. I am thankful for a big brother who still pretends he is going to poke my stomach just to see me flinch. I am thankful for a big sister who still knows how to drive me crazy as we navigate a video game together. I am thankful for my mom and step dad who work hard to provide for us as a family unit and who raised us to love each other despite our flaws. I am thankful for the time we shared this weekend, for the memories we made, and for the bonds that were strengthened.

This weekend showed me what Valentine's Day is really all about. Forget the flowers, chocolates, cards, romantic wishes and jewelry commercials. Valentine's Day is about being with those you love, and expressing that love to each other in a real and tangible way. I hope that wherever you are tonight, you were able to share this Valentine's Day with someone you love in some form or fashion.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated Kelsey.Your heartfelt words show your gratitude. I always admire gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, friend!

    (Mmmm. Homemade waffles...)

    ReplyDelete